Saturday 21 April 2018

Himalaya day #15 - the final push back to Lukla

Friday the 13th and Nepalese 2074 New Year celebrations. In theory an easy day descending back to Lukla but we were still on our feet for 18ish ks.

It’s been a huge 3 weeks. There was a lot of satisfaction and sense of achievement in walking back towards Lukla with spring now noticeably in full effect relative to 2 weeks prior. 

Over the 15 days with my added runs we covered the best part of 200kms. It was the time on the feet that was more stark though averaging 7 hours of walking every day. 

The toughest element for me was the mental side of it and dealing with no running water, the cold, altitude etc. It felt like a test of endurance at times. Not having a warm shower for 15 days was brutal. I am though very pleased I did it and finally put to rest a dream I’ve had since I was a boy.

Things I learned:

1. I’ll be back - just not to EBC
2. Packed 3 months into 3 weeks
3. This has been my first proper switch off time in 20 years
4. I missed my family a lot
5. Made some great friendships - Peter the 64 year old ultra runner is a legend and was a great companion 
6. I must make the most of every opportunity I have - life is way too bloody short
7. I really enjoyed the wonderful Nepalese people 
8. Pleased that I still have it in me still to muddle through. The weather was left field and was perennially cold for 15 days. 
9. A lot of people come back from Nepal and summarise it as life changing. I don’t think I would go that far but it certainly has had a long lasting impact!

In the evening we had nice celebration dinner with the porters, Sheilesh and the 2 other Sherpas Dilkumar and Pemanuri. I was sad to say my goodbyes.

day 15 video: https://youtu.be/sf_1AfQi_H0

Summary of the route:


Photos of the day:



















































No comments:

Post a Comment