Saturday 21 April 2018

Himalaya day #7 - Gokyo ~4,500m

Earlier start today leaving at 7am but I was feeling shitty. The headache was intense now coupled with a grumpy stomach. I knew I had a mild case of AMS and was not enjoying the climb one iota.

Something had to be done and so resorted to my stash of Diamox which I’ve been desperate to avoid. With some people the effect is instantaneous. I would not say that was the case for me but rather a general improvement to the head and stomach. In the back of my mind I knew we had a big few days coming up and were heading to the Gokyo Ri summit (5,320) in the morning and did not want to be suffering as I was. 

The walk today was basically up and over the moraine and then falling back down on the Gokyo lakes, a hidden gem of the Himalaya and off the beaten path. The lakes are stunning and serve as a pilgrimage for many Nepalese as well as Westrners keen to experience the Everest massif but avoiding the EBC circus. The fact that they were were all frozen and snow covered lessened the experience a little but there were still pockets which had melted providing the renowned reflection of the surrounding peaks. 

Now at the Gokyo Lakes resort (the name is misleading) we did a short acclimatisation walk up to ridge to view Asia’s largest glacier called the Ngozumpo which careers down the valley from the base of Cho Oyo. 

I needed rest and so went straight to bed feeling pretty rough with the snow beginning to fall outside which is not exactly the weather we need for tomorrow’s summit.

day 7 video: https://youtu.be/m8R5ItZ3F1s













































No comments:

Post a Comment