Sunday 12 June 2016

Sonnegga to Blauherd

We were all hungover this morning but given the clear skies we made the effort again to get out early. I was desperate to get my fix of the panoramic view of the Matterhorn, the Monte Rosa and the Breithorn etc all 4,000m + peaks.

The weather today did not disappoint and as we emerged from the Sonnegga Express (train funicular which runs through the mountain up to c. 2,000 meters) the Matterhorn was almost visible. It also allowed us to gauge where we were yesterday.

We then headed up to the Blauherd before looping back via Tufteren and back to Sunnegga to get down to Zermatt. Only 10 or so ks covered today but so pleased we had the views.

After picking up our gear from the hotel in town (Hotel Simi) we took the train back down to Täsch to pick up the car and the 2 hour drive back to Vevey.

J and I then said our farewells before taking the train back along lake Geneva to the airport.

J and I really enjoyed Stevie's and Jo's company and have already made plans for Stevie and I to run the Berlin marathon next year and sowed the seed for them and their boys to join us in Biarritz next year.

I love walking in the Alps and love the feeling of the boots on my feet and the rucksack on my back with nothing more to think about other than where to place your next foot. I find it incredibly therapeutic and the simplicity a great balance to my regular day.

A massive thank you for Jo and Stevie's hospitality.

Here was today's route: https://www.strava.com/activities/606817724












































No comments:

Post a Comment