Friday 5 August 2016

Coming down the pike

This is a term I hear every day from my colleagues in NY. I had always understood 'pipe' as in pipeline (things coming up). Pike is though short for turnpike or a broad road, even Toll road - riveting stuff I know! But why then do they not just say road?

When we first moved to the UK the boys found it highly amusing how we say things differently in the Uk. Here are some examples:

- innit is a prerequisite for every single English sentence, innit!
- how you doing? Versus how you going in Oz?
- in Oz the word for hat is beenie. The boys could never understand why hat covers all head wear including caps etc in the UK
- sweets vs lollies. Have to say I am with the Brits on this one. A lolly is a sweet on a stick plain and simple.
- footie refers to all sports in Oz. Sorry guys footie is a game played with a round ball. You know that truly global game which isn't played by 5 countries with an oval ball.

I wrote a whole page of these out somewhere and will need to find. Here are some more:



On the American theme here is what it takes to run a 1.42 800ms:

http://www.flotrack.org/article/44586-nick-symmonds-releases-pre-1-42-olympic-games-training-log

Got home at 6 and desperate for cardio I hit the bike loop for 80 mins or so. Beautiful evening with a baby deer running out in front of me on the way to Downe.

No comments:

Post a Comment