Sunday 10 April 2016

Fulham Half - 9th in 1.19.54

I was really unsure about this race as my legs were dead from 2 weeks of skiing but I desperately need the speed. If I am honest I cannot say I ran completely as a tempo. It was hard work and the course did not help. The 1st 2ks were all on grass and then the gravel path along the river. As is always my luck after 1k I was running solo too.

Despite the above the first few ks were quick but told myself to calm down and settled into 3.50s and then the odd 4 mink but I think they were aberrations given the disjointed course and the constant corners.

The course was actually a nightmare. If it wasn't the grass or the gravel it was the constant hairpins and then the bloody yuppies walking their dogs on the Thames path or having to dodge the busses by running on the pavement. Furthermore, as we made our way back on each of the 2 laps the wind was fierce and felt like I was treading water.

Despite the slow ks I was constantly picking off runners. At half way I would have been 17th or so and managed to pick enough off to sneak into the top 10.

Results are here:
http://www.swifttiming.co.uk/cgi-bin/list_race_result.php?meet_event_id=1010001

Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/540923885

I think it was the right decision to race as would not have ran anything like this in training but again if I am honest I would have expected to have ran 1.18 easy but was not the case. It's slightly puzzling as 4 weeks ago I managed a 27k tempo in 3.45s and must just hope that is down to the legs. Will only know in 2 weeks but safe to say the sub 2.40 is now looking mightily unrealistic.

In the boys' games Lukie drew 4 each and Jack is playing now. Let's hope he has more joy.  Jack is playing in the Mini European championships this summer (basically select U11 teams from across the globe). He will be playing for the team representing Australia and in their group they have Bayern Munich and Manchester United. They will do very well not to get hammered!

Must must remain positive.

Pictures of the day:





















No comments:

Post a Comment