Friday 8 April 2016

Mozart

Took the 915 train to Salzburg to avoid the rain in Zell. Pretty sure I came here with Jeremy back in the summer of 1990 post our GCSEs when we were still only 16. We were inter-railing for a month and was an utter blast coinciding with Italia 90. I remember I had a rediculously low budget of £100s to last me a month but we somehow managed with some close shaves thrown in.

Interesting place Salzburg, the home of Mozart and spent the day basically walking around all of the medieval streets (including the great man's birthplace) stopping at the various eateries. After yesterday's rest I am still knackered and with work playing on my mind I did not sleep the best last night but nevertheless everyone really enjoyed and was a nice way to finish the holiday. J thought it appropraite that we have a lock engraved and fasten to the famous bridge. Pictures are below.

The train journey home was pretty cool too with the tracks snaking along the valley bed with the snow capped mountains appearing out of the mist every so often.

Once back home in Zell I cleared the emails and then had a 45 run window so did the 5 x 1km session on the lake but it was freezing cold and raining plus the wind was in my face in the northern end so cut it to #4 with the 5th just in 3.55s. The first 4 were all around 3.25 with never really properly warming up and getting into it. In fact mentally I kept thinking this is madness and going to get sick if I carry on and also knowing that this session really should have been done yesterday.

We had our last dinner tonight at the 'Gruene Baum' just off of the main square. We stumbled across this place and it is authentic Austrian food without the touristy gloss which some of the other places have. It's noticeable how it's predominantly locals in there. The food is great and enjoyed with my Weizen beers over the last 2 weeks. Jack had the ribs and J and I the stake with the boys their usual array of wurstchen and Kaiserschmarrn. Awesome.

*Checked out the weather forecast for Sunday AM and the weather is fair and so will run the Fulham half.  I am not feeling overly optimistic and feel like I am caught between desperately needing some speed in the legs versus not over doing it with 2 weeks to go.

Pictures of the day:



 





Salzburg:











Mozart's Geburtshaus:










One of the many squares with my 5 in view:





No kangaroos in Austria:








The engraved locks - we put right in the middle of the bridge - one for the boys to explore when they come back as adults:













Well done Austria:


Back in Zell - Gasthof Gruene Baum:





No comments:

Post a Comment