Tuesday 18 April 2017

London - what it means to me

Took the three younger boys on a short ride through Tommy's and Jack's secondary school grounds and out into the woods on the other side followed by a short circuit of Kelsey Park. 8ish ks in over 5s.

Love seeing Ryder (#7) on his bike and often wonder whether we subconsciously named him Ryder due to my obsession with riding bikes (either that or the old TV series Knight Rider - it is standard for me to hum the theme tune when putting him to bed).  On that I continued with watching all the Spring classics and yesterday it was Amstel Gold. Another absorbing race with the 2 strongest riders Big Phil Gilbert and Kwiatkowski. I called Kwiatkowski to win the sprint but true to form Gilbert won. Why did I ever doubt him?

Have not done much with the boys over the break and have a guilty conscience. This is what I dislike about marathon running that you end up erring on the selfish side.  I suppose J did take the boys off to Belgium for a few days to stay with our Dutch friends from back in Manly but I've been generally poor. I really need to readdress post Sunday.

What does London mean to me?
Well it means a lot.

I can now say I am looking forward to Sunday and there are already butterflies.  I have lots of memories from the race spanning 4 decades. Mum and Dad have both ran London with Mum running 3.36 back in the day (in her 40s) whilst juggling a full time teaching job and 3 kids (she won a number of prizes as a result and remember always been on the road cheering them both).

I will never forget witnessing Paula running her 2.15. Dad and I were on our bikes down in Deptford (I was meant to be running but was of course injured) on the otherside of my secondary school in New Cross and the pace she was running was breathtaking. Same age as me and studied similar degrees at Uni she will always be one of my all time sporting favourites.

I ran the mini marathon on numerous occasions and Sunday will be my 6th full London. The last 2 have not been enjoyable particularly last year when I did actually get myself fit but suffererd from foot issues 5k in losing all feeling in my right foot. Not my quickest but it is unquestionably my toughest and still unsure how I managed to finish.

There was an article yesterday in the Guardian from a lady who has ran all the Majors and basically said that none compare to London. For me it has the added bonus of being my home city marathon and so will always be the special one. The further twist being that it's on or around my birthday with all friends and family on the road supporting.

I love the fact that you run side by side everyone and that the crowd support the rear as much as they do the elite (our Olympics). Testamaount to London and its people and as we saw in 2012 London knows how to put on a show. Last year at the finish line I high fived James Cracknell and then Jenson Button in short succession with both running within 30 seconds of me. They like me were considered just one of the masses.

Finally, London is special to me as every year I reject the Champinship place and opt for a charity. I manage to raise enough to fund a new wheel chair for a budding sportsman or sportswoman. It irritates me throughout the course of the year that I cannot do more but this makes me feel good.

If you have time please sponsor me.
uk.virginmoneygiving.com/samAgnew

Many thanks.
Sammy


No comments:

Post a Comment