Sunday 12 July 2015

Bike TT and Arthur Ashe

Midway throuh imposed running break to help the ankle recover so rode out at lunch and with only an hour to my name I gave it 90% gas around my normal TT route, the local lanes loop around Biggin Hill.  This is also my 'Hilly Long' loop for my London Marathon training. Tried to keep my HR 》150 and surprised myself as I flew round despite this being my first ride for 6 months.  The 2nd half of Layhams Road is a steady and tough drag and had to keep the cadence high. Half way between Tatsfield and Downe though my chain jammed and assumed the chain had come off but through closer inspection 2 seperate cogs (in my chain had come loose). Stopped the clock at that point and fiddled around for a while. Managed to jam them back in and then took the last 10km home easy spinning the legs over worried that at any time the chain would jam again and send me flying.  Dissapointed as felt that I had a lot of gas left. Parts of the route remind me a little of the Akuna Bay loop (low hut to high hut).

Strava:
http://strava.com/activities/344468129

Another great stage in today's TTT with Team Sky finishing 1s behind BMC. Nicolas Roach was that poor bugger I mentioned a few days ago, the dreaded 5th man. He was clearly shot with 2k to go but with only 5 left he had to empty and more to cross the line with the remaining 4. Massive respect and one of the more likeable fellas on the world circuit..

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Arthur Ashe winning Wimbledon. The first black man to win it. He was also the first black man to win both the US and Australian Opens. He remains the only black man to have won a slam. A great man who spoke vehemently against apartheid and for the civil rights movement in the US. A few days ago I asked the question whether Teklahaimanot winning the KOTM jersey this week would change cycling and see a black African rider one day win the Tour? I hope that it won't follow the tennis example.  Amazingly he had a heart attack aged 36 and became HIV positive from a blood transfusion through one of his operations and died from AIDs. Even on his death bed he was still raising money for his AIDs charities. His legacy is not his sporting prowess but all the millions he raised.

Nice article putting European immigration into perspective:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/swedish-minister-gives-strongest-case-yet-on-why-eu-should-stop-turning-away-asylum-seekers-10366910.html

Article on Teklahaimanot and cycling back in East Africa:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/10/tour-de-france-daniel-teklehaimanot-africa-eritrea-cycling

Rest day on the Tour tomorrow and with Wimbledon finished and the Ashes only starting on Thursday again I won't know what to do with myself.

On the family front Ryder #5 had his first dance performance tonight with his dance school. Breakdancing and 'hop hop' moves as he calls it . They have been practising all weekend as well as the last 10 weeks. Photos to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment