Thursday 9 July 2015

Track 6 x 1kms and the day Africa made its mark at the TdeF

Manic day which started with a 7am conf call followed by walking the boys to school followed by mad dash into the office. Work was similarly relentless all day but was determined to jump at 6pm and get over to Norman Park track for the 6 x 1km session I had planned with Roger aka Messi lad from Barcelona.

My left ankle has been troubling me ever since I rolled it a couple of days ago and extensive taping this morning only helped a little.  To be honest I was sat on the train on route to the track thinking what on earth am I doing.

Surprisingly the ankle began to feel better as I jogged over from the train station. After brief hellos with the Blackheath Harriers crew and a quick chat with Keith we got going.  Rep's # 1, 2 and 3 were all done off barely 60s recovery and I was going lactic with my chest burning like hell. The ks went 3.25,  3.23 and 3.33. Figured I would sit out the next to recover and split into 2 sets of 3. Reps 4 5 and 6 were about the same but affording more than the 60s recovery (guessing 90s).  Kms went 3.19 3.30 3.26. Would have liked to have seen what my HR was maxing out at. Whilst my HR remains low the older I get the more difficult I find it is to get into the 170s. In fact in the recent marathon I don't think my HR got anywhere close to 165. I need to improve on that front and the regular track sessions I am hoping is the way to do just that. There is no hiding on the track and takes no prisoners.

Times not great but session done. Big thanks to Messi for pulling me round. All up 13kms today. 

Bizarrely I bumped into my old coach Andy who is still coaching 12-14 year old Blackheath Harriers. It was as close to a time warp as I am ever going to get. 

http://app.strava.com/activities/342531661

I have been feasting on Wimbledon, the Ashes and the Tour. Not sure it quite makes up for the harsh winters in the UK but it is an amazing time of year.

News of the day is that Cabaye has signed for Palace. This is an amazing signing. I thought today it could not get any better and then I hear that Stoke (the encumbant Mediocre winners) have sold Nzonzi to Sevillia. This is what you call a seismic shift. Unfriggin believable. I can hear Timmy lad Lindop crying from here.

Man of the day has to go to MTN-QUEBEKA'S Eritrean rider Daniel Teklehaimanot who became the first black African rider to win the King of the Mountains jersey. An unbelievable achievement and question mark whether this will change long distance cycling. It certainly needs more color and if it is to be a true global sporting icon it needs to have strong representation across the board. The token Colombian is not enough.

Quote of the day has to be from Nibali when after fistycuffs with Froome (Froome was unfairly blamed for causing the crash) he was asked if they had cleared up their misunderstanding: “Did we clear it all up? Yeah! We are not footballers, we are cyclists!”.

Norman Park, taking boys to school and the current KOTM.

3 comments: