Sunday 5 July 2015

Sunday Progressive with Roger

I got the call from Messi last night so jogged up to meet him at 830 sharp. We had no plans but ran over to Norman Park starting at 4.25 min kms to then ratchet up to 3.38 for the 14th k. Between 8 and 14 we must have been averaging low 3.40s. It was a tough old session after yesterday and whilst I was puffed at the 14 km mark after a jog down I felt comfortable running the final 2kms home solo at 3.35 pace. All up the morning yielded 16.5ks at 4.14s.
The session proved that my aerobic fitness needs improving (not surprising given the last couple of weeks) but feel strong and now being 2kg lighter than when I ran the marathon in April am beggining to feel good.

Messi was strong as ever and could not quite hold onto him for that 14th k. I really think he can run 2.35 next year which bodes well for me if I can tag onto him for as long as possible. The long runs with him will be key.

A special mention to Tommy Highnam who emptied everything at the Gold Coast Marathon to run yet another PB this year in a time of 2.33. I often joked about him to friends that there I was thinking I was doing well with my running, solid career and 4 kids when I meet Tommy and all of a sudden he made me feel very ordinary, 5 kids, a successful career and a dam good runner. He is one of the nicest blokes (and one of the nicest families) you will ever meet too which puts him in the seriously annoying category. Tommy has been running competitively for 30 years now and that is why I know he will reach his goal and run 2.29 in London next year. The cool conditions, the deep field and fast course will mean I will wage heavily that a 2.28 is on. Tommy ran at an English school boy level and competed against the Blackheath Harriers group I trained with such as Jonathan Murray (800ms) and none other than Mark Steinle who went onto run a 2.09.xx at the 2002 London marathon. Small world!

This weekend we have enjoyed the visit of another Sydney Manly family for the second weekend running with Sarah, Tana and Kaia here.  Lots of memories shared in Aus together.

Pre and post haircut pix:

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Sammy Aggers, at least a half decent blog on the books, Although i've only read one entry and your already coming out with TRASH talk... Tommy H a nice guy?
    I see you still haven't found a decent hairdresser either since you've returned to London :)
    Hope all is well and you have the season ticket ready for the Potters as they march into Europe come next May
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timmy your Stoke videos have been put on the scrap heap along with Bodan et al :)

    ReplyDelete