Thursday 10 September 2015

Amsterdam

Flew in last night and was feeling decidedly groggy after team dinner at Cafe de Klepel (very close to Pulitzer Hotel where we stay) but still dragged myself out of bed at 6am to run the streets of the DAM ahead of our board meetings.

I am here 5 times a year (getting to know the place) and managed 12.XX kms in 57mins. To be honest I have no real running focus at the moment but enjoyed the plodding around watching Amsterdam wake up on a crystal clear day. I love this place with everyone buzzing around on their bikes, it's like a ginormous bee hive. As I have previously mentioned they have a remarkably low accident rate which I find amazing given the amount of near misses. 

The fact that everyone cycles is a great leveler and therefore you don't get the Anglo saxon arrogance associated with people showing off their fancy OTT cars. It is of course also super healthy and I know myself that I am always happier whilst riding my bike. In Germany I rode to work and back everyday for 7 years (in the rain and snow) and after a stressful day in the office it is such a liberating experience racing home throwing in the odd bunny hop or two.

Pics mainly from this morning's run (the 4th pic is that of the church which Anne Frank peered out to for all those years whilst hiding from Nazi Germany). Pics then of the flight into City Airport (Houses of Parliament, St. Pauls, Olympic Stadium, the last one looking over Forest Hill where I grew up):

1 comment:

  1. I think Andy Heyden may be running a 100k in Amsterdam this weekend

    ReplyDelete