Thursday 17 September 2015

Manhatten Wednesday

This morning I planned my NYC bridge run over to Brooklyn and that's exactly what I did. The route sends me due east down Canal Street across the Manhatten Bridge before returning via the Brooklyn Bridge.  The early morning sun hitting the red brick Projects (the Lower East Side social housing) makes for spectacular colors.

The weather was again warm and sunny with clear blue skies and little humidity. Felt great pitter pattering along in 4.35s for c.10kms saying numerous hellos to fellow runners. The Brooklyn bridge being the highlight.

This was also my debut run with the new Garmin Epix. I have to say I really like it. This is my 5th Garmin but was never totally happy with the 610 that I bought whilst in NYC 9 months ago. Cheekily I brought my receipt with me and argued that the watch was not to my liking and that I wanted to upgrade which amazingly they accepted.  The guy then gave me more discount which meant I upgraded for a mere $35 dollars, RESULT!

The day was again back to back @ work but snuck out at 6pm to walk the 2 minutes across the street to the 'One World Trade Center' to buy a ticket for the viewing platform. It only opened in May and I made it as one of the first million to visit. The views were spectacular but arguably not as good as from work where you have an outside balcony looking north back along Manhatten.

21 years ago in 94 I made it to the top of the Twin Towers. I will never forget that day on 911 with Jacqueline in Frankfurt watching those airplanes hitting. It beggars  belief. It has made NYC and its people stronger.

Pics from the morning run and then from the top of the One World Trade Centre (the building itself and the surrounding memorial is gobsmacking) - final pic of a 'Negroni' intro'd by Michael consisting of campari, gin and martini:

No comments:

Post a Comment