Saturday 5 September 2015

Manly

Cracking day today with Manly in all its glory, it does not get any better and to think it's still winter!  This morning I woke at 5.30am, quickly sank 3 cups of Q's finest coffee and walked the 50m to the beach to watch the sunrise before jogging up to the North Head 10km start line for the 7am off. 

I wasn't sure if I was tired, hungover (err dehydrated), jetlagged or a triple combo of all three. In any case I had mentally already bottled it and decided to run at 90%. Fair play to Timmy who would have beaten me easily had I given 100%. I ended up with 38.30 (a PW by some margin) and was fatigued after. It was though super nice seeing the old running crew with a massive turn out and made sure I took in the majestic views over to south head on each loop. It felt like I had not been away.

Had bumped into Charlotte on the beach at sunrise and had promised to drop by post the run to say Hi to the girls and Chris so squeezed that in before meeting the Hurts Crew at Bench for brekkie kindly organised by J-Fen.

I then did the Manly visitor rounds including Jase at the volley ball courts, the entire Hawkins clan, Luke and Heather (+ Raffie and Pete), Sarah Tana and Kaia, Rich John and then Wil who I met at the surf club. Wil then helped me grab my gear from Q's before dropping me at Ben & Jodie's new gaff in Balgowlah. At some point during the day I somehow managed to lose the best part of A$500 from my pocket (this is what jetlag does to me! - and really hoping the lucky person who found it actually needs it) and by that time I could barely keep my eyes open. 

In the evening Ben and I then walked the beach route to meet the lads in the Steyne followed by curry. Super nice night with Tommy, Timmy, Macca, Richard Green, Q, Jimmy, Barts, Birchy, Tim P and Jase Letchford (by far and away the best board-short clad cyclist in the region not to mention legend). Have to say I really miss these guys. 

Great chatting all things footie with Timmy at dinner too - cannot wait to show him some proper footie when I take him down to Selhurst in April next year, a 'footballing enlightenment'. Moreover, I would absolutely love it if we beat City next week and go top of the league - Selhurst is going to be rocking for sure and we smashed them last year at home. No doubt there will then be legitimate grounds for me to respectfully retire CPFC from the Mediocre (Cup).

It was important to stay at Ben and J's place as I always say the only way you properly catch up is if you stay at someone's place. Ben gave me the full download on his bike accident with me insisting it would not have happened had I been there.  Am really pleased that he has fully recovered. 

Being back in Manly was super weird, surreal even and the very short stay whilst massively jetlagged only added to it. Would have loved J and the boys to be with me. Not the same without them and to be honest I felt a little guilty.

Late on and still dehydrayed I spoke with Jaq who gave me the good news re Lucas and his football trial and that Tailblazer Tommy has had a great start at Big school (and same for Jack in his new Y6 school). All good.

The 6am sunrise, proof that the honourable Chairman pays up despite hampered by injury and the curry night crew:

No comments:

Post a Comment