Sunday 24 January 2016

Hanging with the Beckhams

Ditched my long run to take Jack to his Millwall game vs. the Arsenal youth academy at their training ground in North East London.  Impressive facilities.
 
Managed a 7k jog whilst he was warming up and then met Jacqui and Lucas on the touchline completely unawares that we were standing next to none other than Beckham Snr plus his mum and dad.
 
It quickly became clear he was also there watching his son play. Bizarrely Cruz #7 was playing right wing and Jack left wing so they collided a lot. After 5 minutes Jack turned and Cruz upended him which was met with a 'stay on your feet' muttering from his dad. Cruz goes well and it cannot be easy for him - huge expectation as well as an awful lot of talent in the Arsenal u11s youth academy.
 
The whole experience was surreal - Jacqui was totally star struck! There was a nice moment at half time when Cruz came over and got a pep talk from his old man.
 
Lucas was on at me that he wanted his photo with him so in the car park afterwards I plucked up the  courage: 'Mr Beckham would you make my son's day?' which he duly accepted with a smile.
 
I have a tremendous amount of respect for David Beckham and have always been a huge fan - we ran against each other in London schools x-country races (he was the year below).  It has always amazed me how he has conducted himself impeccably throughout his entire career. The fact that he was 'being normal' watching his son play with his parents alongside is a great testimony to him.
 
As we were driving out of the car park the Beckham's car came side by side with Jacqui screaming in my ear 'it's the Beckham's let them in for heavens sake'. I politely declined, payback for the earlier challenge :)
 
Got home and stuck the running shoes back on as was feeling guilty that had missed my long run. I could only muster 7ks. 93ks for the week and knackered.
 
Now trying to figure out if I have any chance at all in making it to NY tomorrow for my dinner.
 
Lukie and Mr B:
 
 
Jacqui star struck:
 
 
 

 
Jack and Cruz:







 
 
Jack and Cruz 

No comments:

Post a Comment