Friday 8 January 2016

JJ's 40th

Monster day. Up early to run into work (c.17ks) and then followed up with strength training at lunch. Heavy focus on core and glutes at the moment.

Then in the evening we had JJ's 40th at the Dandeleyan bar, the Mondrian hotel (@ London Sea Containers) on the river. All my crew there who I have known since the age of 10, Steve, Jeremy, Odin, G-man Hall and others plus better halves.  Top night.

JJ is a diamond.  Brockley boy who has 'done good'. All my mates have no kids so JJ and I have a lot in common. He like me also took the brave decision to get the hell out of London at the expense of not seeing his mates. I have a tonne of respect for him that he made the move in order to create a much better future for his three kids. Tough for him to see it but it is by far and away the right decision.

JJ dserves enormous credit for being able to put himself in tough situations (out of his comfort zone) for the greater good. In 2007 JJ and I were roped up together going up Mont Blanc. It was nerve racking and scary as hell but he soldiered on - it took serious guts. This sums him up. He is also one of very few people I know that is comfortable with talking to people from ALL walks of life. JJ has the unique ability to relate to anyone. He is a very fortunate guy who has everything he could possible ask for. Most importantly he stays grounded. 

Moreover, he has always been there for me and has been with me for all of my most memorable life occasions: wedding in Sydney, Tommy's birth, my first London marathon in 2000, school, the list goes on. Am fortunate to have him as a constant friend and feel bad that have not made more effort since being back in the UK  - I have been struggling in that time.

The highlight of the evening was him doing his dance with all of us blurting out a chorus of happy birthday. After many beers and cocktails Jacqueline and I sprinted for the last train.

No comments:

Post a Comment