Friday 29 January 2016

NYC MLR Bridge run

I always do this run whilst here but this time headed over Brooklyn Bridge first and back over Washington via Canal Street. Ended up being 17 odd ks with a faster 6k finish.
 
It was another stunning fresh winter's day in NYC with the 2nd day of conference (the air is SO much better than London).  In the evening I headed out to Soho and had dinner on my Jackson Jones at the Soho Grand (another 4k).  J and I have spent lots of time there.
 
Today's running themes - I must subconsciously always gravitate toward runners:
 
1. Randomly sat next to a 33 min 10k runner at lunch , he was in his 50s!!  He raced Lance Armstrong on bikes back in the day.  I promise I am not making this up.  I asked him if he knew all along? 'Yes' was his immediate answer.
 
2. For the concluding comments of the day the host put up a picture of Roger Bannister before going into one about the importance of 'belief'. I was made to look temporarily good as was the only one in the room who put his hand up when asked who he was. The host effectively used Bannister as a sporting analogy to explain that without belief you don't achieve the long time unachievable. I do the same at work, stuff along the lines of: 'do you want to play for Palace, a top quality Premiership team or a Stoke?
 
Interesting fact: about 30 days later an Australian also broke the 4 min mile.
 
More interesting fact: the following year more than #20 runners broke the 4 minute barrier after a long period of failed attempts.  It got me thinking about the 2hr marathon. I suspect that once it finally has been broken it will open the flood gates. Am predicting that Kipsang & co are going to go very close on April 24.
 
 
The US is gripped in a Primary election frenzy. To think that this is going to continue until November is mind boggling.  Don't get me started on the candidates.

My morning Bridge run:






New York's Manly ferry over to Jersey:







 

No comments:

Post a Comment