Sunday 9 July 2017

Day 3 - the march back to Zermatt

As expected none of us slept well. I reckon I got max 4 hours when the alarm went at 5. I find the brain is always scrambled in the mountains and what should take 10 minutes to get ready often ends up twice or three times as long.

Post a short breakfast we managed to get out just as day light was breaking around 6.  We had calculated that we needed to get the 9.40 train from the Gornergrat train station (back down to Zermatt) in order to make the train connections back to Geneva airport.

The first part was relatively easy as we climbed down towards the glacier. Crampons now back on and once again one came off but this time in a safer spot. The middle rocky section then follows which is tricky in that you're constantly trying to work out where to put your feet.

The markers (red poles) then take you a little down the valley to loop back up where the ladders are to take you off the glacier.  The last upward peice was steep and awkward. I had to slam the crampons into the ice to get sufficient grip so as not to fall. I had though forgotten about the final section to finally get off (where I lost my crampon the day before).

Stevie already sat on safe solid ground took great amusement (the bastard!) as JJ and I somehow managed to climb down. All the while I could hear our former guide Christian ringing in my ears: 'my grandma can climb better than you lot'. Was pretty sure Stevie was thinking the same. He was smiling like a Cheshire Cat and even got out his smart phone to film us!

JJ went first and opted for a hands, knees and ice axe combo special. In truth I cannot remember how I got down only that my heart was beeping like the clappers. I did though have another bloody hand to show for my efforts.

Thankfully the pursuing elite looking climbers, a group of 8 Italians, did not see our laughable attempt but it was mildly embarrassing to me at least how the leader glided down effortlessly as if we were walking to the shops.

Off with the bleeding crampons but oh no the ladders. I had forgotten about them. For about 30 meters you have to climb these damn things making sure you never look down. At the top Stevie bellowed down that the sign said 1hr 5 minutes to the Gornergrat. I looked at my watch and we had exactly that. No time for pause we marched on in the usual order of Stevie in front and JJ behind.

With 15 minutes to spare we hugged and high fived before right on cue the mountain train came.

Today the Garmin measured 8k and yesterday whilst it read 17k it was more like 18/19 as I forgot to start a couple of times. The most meaningful stat however was the 7 hours yesterday and another 3 today, none of which were simple as the HR showed.  With the 1 hour on Friday the Forerunner 235 managed 12 hours of GPS juice which I was pretty happy about and died as soon as we got on the train.

We were all spent as the train meandered back down the valley but still needing to keep an eye on the watch before picking up the rest of the gear which we had dumped at the hotel the day before (it seemed a lot longer).  Stevie, sleep deprived, then drove us the 2 hours back to Montreux where I legged it for the airport with JJ (only flying later in the day) heading back to the Montreux Jazz festival.

Observations of the trip:

1. Massive thanks to Stevie 'chicken ribs' Gill for organising including all the bookings such as the refuge. He's a cool head in the mountains and was genuinely amazed at how strong he was. Like minded we will always see eye to eye and are already planning the next one.

2. Fantastic to have JJ 'take your time' Roye there, one of my oldest and dearest friends. I've said it before, JJ is an impressive individual who has a tough gig and deserves eenormous respect and most importantly is always good for a laugh and morale. I really appreciated him being there. The trip away was a great way to spend some real quality time with one another. Impressive too that he showed his resilience yet again out in the mountains.

3. Friendships are made as a result of these sort of experiences. I decided 10 years ago that I'd combine my uni mates with my school mates and put a team of 5 together to climb Mont Blanc. They had never met before and have not seen each other since but are genuine amigos and share this common bond. They get on really well and have a lot more in common than just these trips.

4. I love the simplicity of being in the mountains, having the boots on the feet (rucksack on your back) and only needing to worry about the next step in front of you. It's a great offset to the stresses of every day life. Zermatt is a gem too.

5. It also gives me the opportunity to do what I love too which is photography.  Lugging the big camera with a 300 zoom was totally worth it.

6. My only slight regret was that we had to hammer quite a lot to get to where we needed to be on time.  That being said it all ran like clockwork such as arriving at the hut literally in time for dinner and getting the Gornergrat train also just in the knick of time. We were also super lucky with the weather. Saturday was stunning and today the rain held off just in time for us to get down. In the car journey home it was absolutely teeming down!

6. For the next trip I'd like to explore another part of the Alps, perhaps the Dolomites. Would be great if we could get the full MB07 team together again.

7. Writing this now I don't feel any ill effects which I am delighted about other than some cuts on my hand, a graze on my shin and the usual blisters/sore shoulders. Every step I kept telling myself to concentrate so as not to screw Berlin now only 11 weeks away. The last 6-7 months would have been all for nothing. Curious to see if the higher altitude will have helped the fitness though suspect the 2 days is too short for it to really matter. One thing is for sure is that the HR was racing sleeping at 3,000 meters.

8. Would love to show the Aus mates this one day. It would not disappoint.



























































No comments:

Post a Comment