Sunday 30 July 2017

Messi Marathon 3.00.45 (Hilly Long) - 4.17s

Slept through the alarm again after not sleeping well and woke just before 7 with Messi due to pick me up at 7.15.  Having pushed back by 15 minutes we headed down through Norman Park and then out on his orthodox Hilly Long route (he running a few ks before picking me up so that he'd get to his 38).

Good to catch up and made time go by quickly and for once I was not moaning.  We hit the main hill around 15ks with the average around 4.25s (c. 7s quicker than 4 weeks ago).

At the high point the average was still only 4.26s having pushed a little on the hills - this route covers almost 500m of vertical climbing and so no mean feat.

The good thing is that at 20k by the Indian Restaurant it is pretty much all down hill - this is where we had our only gel (H-5).  Messi ordered for us not to push and keep in the low 4s with him having already ran  100+ ks for the week and 6 weeks of heavy training (this week he put in another 140ker).

So that's how we kept the ks, free flowing around 4.10s.  I complain when things are tough but today I felt fresh having had easy days Thurs through Sat.  I could sense that Messi was tired today which is completely understandable given his recent volume.

Back in Hayes he had 38k on the clock when I bode him farewell with the average on 4.18s.  I persevered and had a bee in my bonnet about running a full 42.2k set and so ran loops of the school fields to get me to exactly the full marathon distance in 3hrs and 45 seconds holding the solo 7ks in c. 4.12s.  Yes I was tired but with only one gel and just a Beet cereal bar to my name it's given me a touch more confidence.  And still 110+ ks for the week despite this being a down week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108400536

* Weight post run: 77.3k - the lightest for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment