Thursday 18 February 2016

Cordell Williams

Did a quick session at work: 2k WU + 2k @3.29 + 500m jog + 2k 3.29 + 500m jog + 2k 3.32 + 1k WD. About 10ks.

Met MKM @ the Oxo in the evening. Another one who has been by my side my entire life, well since the age of 11. We were in the same secondary class. It was a mix of Forest Hill and Peckham boys who got on famously. All of us from varied socio economic backgrounds in the way only South East London can throw up.

MKM and I were best friends with one Cordell Williams who we all looked up to. Bright, quick, funny and basically good at absolutely everything he did. He like MKM was from the depths of Peckham but we were all very close. It's with regret that I write that we lost him to suicide at at the tender age of 18. I will never forget it or more importantly him and what I learned from him. The guy was an inspiration. Am still in awe of him to this day. London is tough and back then in South East London you needed to be bullet proof.

I have a fond memory of Cordell's mum reading our Jack (#2 at the time) a story at MKM's wedding day many years post her loss - I have a photo of it somewhere.  She has this amazing ability to smile and with it let you know that it all is ok. Very few people have that same ability.  She always looked out for me as did Cordell. Another fond memory is witnessing Cordell skate down London's steepest hill (Canonby Road) standing up!. No one had ever attempted before. That was Cordell, always the trail blazer.

He loved the fact that I was into my sports and every Monday it would be like so Sam how did you go? He wanted to know every single detail. I was fortunate that I had parents who drove me all around the place and could afford the time and effort. His situation was very different and could tell he wanted the same. He never begrudged me though.

I dislike London in many ways but it's through experiences with the Cordell Williams' of this world which hold you in good stead and keep you grounded. I learnt a lot from him and will think of him in that final 5k on 24 April.

No comments:

Post a Comment