Monday 23 May 2016

FA Cup Final 2016 (21.05.2016)

You could say I was a little nervous ahead of today and this morning it was unbearable.

Around 11am I jogged the block and then could not hold out any longer and headed out around midday for the 5.30 KO. Lukie was the lucky boy to come with as unlike the Semi I was only able to get 1 ticket per season ticket holder. It also meant no Stevie, my Sis, Shazza et al.

We went with Brendan from across the road including his son Ollie and his old man. Ollie is 16 and currently doing his GCSEs as I was 26 years ago in 1990. The poor bugger is only 1 week in with 2 weeks remaining and remember the time well (the exams were such a distraction..! and Stevie famously ditched one of his exams to queue for the final tix, as you did back in the day!).

We all took the train from Eden Park where the platform and train was packed full of Palace fans. Everyone had stuffed their scarves out of the window leaving the train all 'red and blue'. Brendan had all his old school mates there too including Mark Goldberg who was the Palace Chairman and owner for a while before we went bust 20 odd years ago. He was the one that brought Venables back and also made a bid for Gascoigne. It goes to show. Once at Borough market it was then a case of seeing how many songs we could sing and beers we could drink before heading to Wembley. It was completely loopy with Lukie keeping a beady eye on me.

Then it was more singing on route to Wembley and the famous walk down Wembley way. The atmosphere is always electric and it did not disappoint. The 'Grime' doode rapping about Bolasie was a highlight. Then it was into the stadium and onto the upper deck above the Fanatics not before downing a couple more. The build up seemed to take forever and then the players emerged onto the sacred grass which had been decked with the Palace and Man U emblems. This was cue to set off all the red and blue balloons, mandatory for Palace at Wembley. There were literally thousands.

In truth I don't remember much about the first half other than they had most of the ball and we did all the singing. No actually I do remember Clattenberg not playing the advantage (WTF) and Wickham going on to score without realising he had blown the whistle.  We are always doomed when he's the ref and he must be the worst one going and Christ knows why he gets picked. I shudder to think that he may actually ref the Champs league final at the weekend.

I've said it numerous times but there is no question that we are the best fans in the land and make more noise than any other. It was absolutely deafening with the Fanatics barking out instructions which songs to sing. I loved every second and my little partner in crime Lukie the same. He stood on his chair the entire time belting out song after song.

Then the second half and Cabaye goes off after doing nothing more than giving the ball away a dozen times and is replaced by 'Punch' Puncheon. Then the magic moment which remarkably coincided with me taking a video. As the ball came over we were right in the line of sight as it nestled in the corner. On my video you can hear me say 'Go Go' and then utter pandemonium. I remember picking up Lukie followed by diving over 3 rows which is easier said then done at Wembley.  I really thought we had done it with only 10 minutes still to play. I was crying (again) and hugging everyone around me. It was bloody emotional. And then the bloke next to me lets off a flare and I turn around to see Lukie covered head to toe in red dye with me also covered in the stuff. We could not have cared less.

And then 2 minutes later, disaster, they scored. 26 years ago against the same team we were 7 minutes away from winning and now same place same time the pain strikes all over again. I knew then it was over. I slumped resigned in my seat with my hands over my head. The Palace fans though just sang louder as they always do.

Then extra time and Smalling clatters I forget who and he's off. Am still tho not convinced we are back in it and then the sucker goal. Rooney was allowed too much time and suddenly it was over. As soon as the whistle went I could not bare to watch and turned my back and walked Lukie out of there quick smart. Down Wembley way and a few scuffles ensued off the back of some plastic Man U fan goading.

26 years ago was our last final. Stevie and I were sat in the stadium gutted but this time the pain was a lot worse. Judging by recent history I will be 68 for the next one (and 94 after that) and Lukie 37. I reckon that's about right when you think that there are 19 clubs in the Prem. I was gutted after the marathon but today was another level again.

Lukie though was a god send. It was special taking one of my boys to the FA Cup Final and I will never forget it. That goal will live long in the memory too and really hoping we don't have to wait another 26 years to make it 3rd time lucky.









Borough Market:



Brendan and I with Mark Goldberg (former Palace owner and Chairman):

 B and Ollie:




 Wembley way:






















Red and blue balloons:















1 comment:

  1. Nice wrap up again buddy and seriously deepest commiserations as I know its not nice to lose in a final (think Stoke 2011). Still on the bright side don't be waiting another 26 years - come join the Potters team we'll not only be getting to Wembley but also taking Europe by storm over the next 4 years. :)
    Cheers
    BTW, did I tell you Stoke Mediocre Winners season 2013/14, 2014/15, and now 2015/16

    ReplyDelete