Sunday 11 September 2016

Beckenham Half

It was only after asking Roger whether he was keen to run tomorrow did I know the race was on. So after many beers and wine I made the spontaneous decision to cycle the 5 mins or so over to the start at Beckenham Rugby club.

Nice catching up with Roger and family before the off. R asked me if we should run together and suggested 4.15s but deep down knew that was already a massive stretch having not hardly ran at all and not > 10ks since London in April.  It was somewhat of a relief when he said that was too slow!

The first k was not good with my right achilles sore and the left glute stiff. I wondered whether I would even get around. Anyway I settled into a rhythm around 4.20s which felt comfortable and just stayed at that for the first 6 or so ks but was going past a steady flow of people. Then at around 8ks I caught a group including JP one of the trainers from my work gym and so chatted with him and Ed who was also running with him. It felt too easy though so as we hit Hayes lane I was getting itchy feet and so kicked down to 4 min ks passing the top of my road and kept it there. At 13ks I caught the first lady and then more and more as we entered Kelsey Park before the final few ks home. Not sure on place but would think around 12th and put a good 3 minutes into the first lady finishing in 1.28.xx on a hilly course and ran on a lot of trails around Beckenham Place park.

Delighted with that to be honest despite this being a Half PW but given I started very slowly and the negative split very pleased that I can actually run still. It was warm out there today too.

The rest of the day just lounged in the garden with Mia and Paul stopping by.








No comments:

Post a Comment