Wednesday 2 August 2017

90 continuous (fartlek 20 / 22 tempo)

Pretty knackered all day at work and struggled to conecentrate. Thought about the club run at 8pm but could not face starting that late so opted for the run home instead.

Factored in a session on top of the commute: 20' + 22 fartlek (1-4' with 1' float) + 5 flow + 22 tempo + 21. It actually helped with the boredom. I am a little over this running business.

The 20' got me to the end of the Walworth road with the fartlek fun starting on the hills, the first in Camberwell. The final fartlek minute was the killer Sydenham Hill (London's heighest point). On exactly 42 minutes I finished on the crest crouched over coughing my guts up.

The 5' float then coincided with the downhill into Sydenham before starting the 22 tempo which took me through Beckenham finishing 500ms from my house. In order to finish with the final 21' and 90' continuous in total I opted to run back on myself to the Chinese Garage and through the elder boy's Langley School. Ended up with 21k in 4.18s.

Dinner with J. Knackered. Cannot wait for this to be over.

* Ran in the Wave Sayonaras home which have a much lower heel drop. They are lighter than my bog standard Wave Riders but they mess with my right Achilles. On that for any natural runners out there who weigh more than 80kg the Wave Riders are by far and away the best shoe I have ever ran in. That and my running yoga are the only reasons I have been able to run consistently for the last 12 months - I would also say the High-5 electrolyte tabs for nutrition to keep me hydrated have also helped with injury prevention. Even in 2011 when I was last running well I only managed 4.5 months of consistent running before getting injured.

The Wave Rider's are heavier than racing flats but I have learnt my lessons and will never substitute for the sake of a few seconds.

That said I've still to decide on which shoes to wear in Berlin and will try my overly expensive Nike 4%s which I bought last week in the US. They are currently pride of place on the mantlepiece and almost don't feel like I am worthy to put them on. They weigh half that of the Wave Riders but the 11mm drop is similar to that of the 12 for the Riders. Think I will give them a shot.

** Our house v quiet with numbers #1 and #2 walking in the Lake District with Mum and Dad.

Picture of street art this time in my beloved SE London (SE22):






No comments:

Post a Comment