Thursday 22 June 2017

Bromley Midsummer Evening 10k

Well have to start with fact that it was hot hot hot. Turns out the hottest day in the U.K. basically in my lifetime!

I made sure I was on the fast 6.10 to Bromley South so not to stress with getting there on time for the 7.30 start. Those 20 minutes were painful. I reckon it was high 40dc on the train and the folks standing looked like they were suffering big time and about to feint at any moment.

Surviving the journey, I jogged the 3k or so to Norman Park to meet Messi, Steven, Matthew and all of the Petts Wood crew ex Daniel who's suffering with foot issues again.

The track was a buzz with the Blackheath Harriers youth all doing their drills. I love the atmosphere and have fond memories of all the Tuesday and Thursday track nights training there with the likes of Mark Steinle, Jon Murray, Ant Draper and all the rest of them.

Short warm up with Messi as we speculated who would be his competition after he had won last year then as we got back we spied Alex Money who had beaten Messi 2 weeks ago at the Orpington 10k.

The start was unusually not hectic and as I turned the first corner I saw my entire Fam on the sidelines cheering which is always a delight. One loop of Norman Park and then into the neighbouring fields and woodland. At this stage I was 4th with Messi in 2nd behind Alex. I had noticed Alex putting in a deliberate burst to distance himself despite Messi telling him he wasn't going to race him.

As we went into a dark section in the woods the change in light messed up my eyesight and let the fella behind go in front as I settled into a slower pace concentrating not to turn my ankle on the uneven surface.

Things pretty much stayed as they were until the 4th place guy started visibly tiring. Slowly but surely I realed him in but had to keep looking over my shoulder to keep the Blackheath Harrier guy behind in check. Out of the woods for the final loop of the park where Simon Dahdi and Gillian were shouting words of encouragement. Finally the finish where the family were waiting 50ms before the line. Looking back the Blackheath Harrier was comfortably behind so stopped to high five everyone (pursposely fishing out Ryder first given he's still peeved I missed him on the roadside in London) before crossing the line in 39.xx for the 10.3ks in 3.48s (#4th).

Given the terrain and heat (it was still well over 30dc at 8pm) not great but ok. Messi ran 37.xx and Alex 36.xx to win.

Always special when the family are there and even managed to win the Men's over 40s trophy. Nice evening and did not get dark until well gone 10pm.



















No comments:

Post a Comment