Tuesday 22 March 2016

27k tempo holding 3.45s

Today was again about proving to myself I could handle the test. Plan was to meet Messi at lunch and jog over to the Park. I had decided to run 3.45s and see how long I could hold for whilst Messi opted for 4 x 5kms.

I have started to obsess with 3.45s as if I wanted to pick at my training it is that I have not done enough long tempos at marathon pace. So that's now my focus.

At the start my breathing was immediately heavier than expected but it stayed at the same level as the laborious laps kept coming as I was holding 3.43s. I was though feeling good and the new Saucony Triumphs felt amazing. My first dodgy moment came around 11k but head down I kept persevering.

It was warm today in London and was beginning to feel dehydrated and with no gels I just had to keep going - the wind was also all over the place. Got to 10 miles in exactly 60.00mins (6 min miles) and then the Half beeped up at 1.18.45ish.

At that moment I started to get tired but was bloody adamant to get to 27k even if it meant I had to drop the pace. More 3.45s came and overall my pacing was spot on but then a couple of  3.47/48s before dropping down to 3.40 for the final 27th.

Bloody tough but done. More pleasing was that it was solo and on heavy legs.

If I am honest I could not have held 3.45s for much longer but irrespective I am over the moon.

Here is the Strava feed:

https://www.strava.com/activities/523732331

2 comments:

  1. That session is a brute mate. Be super careful in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tommy H - I stole the session from you and Tiger....

    ReplyDelete