Sunday 27 March 2016

Zell

The first morning of skiing is always a little chaotic trying to sort out ski rental, lift passes and the boys' ski schools. Anyway we got there with the only real issue standing around for the boys to do their short slalom in order to be graded for the rest of the week. If worked out well as Ryder went in one of the bigger kid classes, Lukie with Uschi (the local ski instructor we had befriended last year) and then Tommy and Jack in the more advanced 5 day class.

J decided on 5 days of ski school too so meant that I was on my own - I was beginning to wonder if they had all opted for ski school to avoid being with me! Headed straight up to the Schmitten Hohe at 2,000ms with some small drags chucked in to get there. Up top it was glorious with the full panorama in view. Nice being away from it all and did not think about work once at least until I got to the bottom of the technical 14 run and then standing in the queue into the cable car was Yulti a guy who sits 3 seats away from my office. Was nice seeing him and his wife (both Brazilian) as we exchanged pleasantries on the way up.  We then said our farewells as I had to peg it down to the top of the first cable car lift to meet J and the elder two boys. On route I knew where Ryder was stopping for lunch so checked that he was ok too - he was fine demolishing a bowl full of pasta whilst sat around a bunch of German speaking 9 year olds.

My skiing was ok in parts today but trying to stay upright and not do myself any harm is playing on my mind a bit.

With the clocks having gone forward over night I even managed a lap of the lake in the sunshine before dinner but bloody hell it hurts after a full day of skiing.

One of my favourite skiing routes, #14

https://www.strava.com/activities/528221413

The lap round the lake in 4.20s which at 700ms feels like 4.00s and after a days skiing feels like 3.45s.

https://www.strava.com/activities/528210600

* Uschi is this phenomenal Austrian lady who still instructs at the age of 62 and is still running competitive marathons.

Pictures of the day including Ryder Ski school and #14:



















No comments:

Post a Comment