Saturday 5 March 2016

Long tempo (27k @ 3.59s)

With mothers day on Sunday I had sms'd Messi on Friday to see whether he was switching his long session to Saturday.  Lo and behold he was which was a good thing as I'd have company.  The not so good thing was that he was planning a long tempo.  Now his marathon pace is 3.45 which is too quick for me but decided to join him in the park in any case.

So an early start we made the 4k jog down to Norman Park.  With 80ks in the legs over the last 5 days and the Half still lingering from Sunday I was unsure what I should settle on.  A quick negotiation between mind and body and settled on 4 minute ks.  Park Run was starting at 9am so figured I would just keep turning the ks over and then roll straight into the race.  The pacing was pretty much even and bang on 4min/ks and managed to reach the starting line with 15 seconds to spare (at which point I had completed 22 kms).   Post Park Run had a brief chat with the regular crew before heading back out of the park home with Messi, Simon and Daniel.

Today was all about control and the breathing was pretty easy for 27kms at 3.59s - with warm up and warm down 34kms completed for the day. Only 6 days in for the week and I am already at 110ks. Not sure if I have ever been so high.

Here is the 27k controlled tempo:

https://www.strava.com/activities/508900693

Evening spent with the family at dinner in Beckenham.

My London Marathon predictions for the London crew:

- Roger aka Messi: pretty confident he can go sub 2.40 and predicting a 2.38.55.  He ran a 20k tempo today in 3.43s also on tired legs. If he stays relaxed he has it in the bag.

- Simon: despite the injury in Feb reckon he will get close to his 2.40.xx from last year.  Predicting 2.41.

- Daniel: yet to go sub 3 but having ran a 17.45 Park Run today with 2 muddy sections I really do not see why he cannot run 2.55.  He's capable of 2.50.

Will reveal my Australian contingency predictions over the coming weeks.

Ryder earlier in the week for the national book day - forever obsessed with super heroes:





No comments:

Post a Comment