Sunday 22 January 2017

Canterbury 10

Rory picked me up at 8 before picking up 2.38 Foxy from Petts Wood and then the hour drive to Canterbury. Minus 4!!!! in Bromley when we left but at least the sun was shining but oh no as we drove the mist appeared and the visibility became the best part of 50ms - the infamous Canterbury micro climate according to Foxy!

Everyone (incl Messi and family) were huddled into the sports hall as outside I am guessing it was still well below zero. Rest assured I was not feeling up for it as we left the warmth of the hall to do a very short warm up.

Off we went and the first k I ran with Messi before settling into my own rhythm and could see the first lady up the road and all of a sudden I was alone. Literally happens in every race. In race mode I can never remember the hills but ks 7 and 12 (4.13) were tough. Slowly I picked off runners keeping the average around 3.45 with the downhill ones pushing closer to 3.30s.

Passing the 8 mile marker it looked like I was on to break 60 minutes and at 3k to go I finally caught the first lady giving her some brief encouragement. Then the 9 mile marker which came late or was the 8 mile marker too early anyway got to 400ms to go and could see 59.02 on my watch and so kissed goodbye to the sub 60. Never mind and happy to have ran a controlled race never really hitting my limit and on heavy 110k week legs.

132k for the week and happy.

Foxy ran 57.XX, Messi 59.XX and Rory 70.XX and everyone pleased with their morning's efforts so much so that Foxy\Messi took the team honors and with it a nice bottle of bubbly. Nice also seeing Daniel and family at the end who was there supporting his Mrs. Foxy is looking good for 2.35 in London and Messi will be eyeing the same come the Berlin autumn. All of them are real gents as I always say runners are - no prima donnas.

Many thanks to Rory who did all the driving (plus pleasant company) and especially given fact that he is flying this evening.










1 comment:

  1. Great effort mate with a high mileage week in your legs. And nice blog! (Messi)

    ReplyDelete