Saturday 1 August 2015

Stress and Park Run

Just Dad and I this morning as the boys were knackered from footie and athletics camps during the week. On top of that, Jack has been having more academy trials in the evenings and is both physically and mentally shattered.

After a crap nights sleep with work stress (never a good sign on a Friday night) I could not even muster the energy to jog to the start and instead got a lift with Dad. Greeted by the usual crew on a still warm summers day it made for perfect running conditions.

The only problem was that I was knackered. After racking up 3 speed sessions this week and a couple of commutes I was heavy legged and found myself way down in circa 15th place at 1 km in 3.34ish. Feeling disheartened I went through the usual mental mind games with the body telling me to pull out every 2 minutes and the mind saying if you stop this time there is no turning back.

Despite the self doubt, I managed to run consistently and as normal pick off the runners ahead. Caught up to Keith around the 4km mark and then Daniel in the final 300ms. I was shattered at the end finishing in 18.08ish. Down on last week but given stresses, heavy legs and little sleep okay I guess.

Still a million miles away from the  aspirational targets I have set myself.  Roger ran a low 17,  Keith 18.30ish and Rory a PB in 19.30ish (he was stoked). Dad ran 26ish with a hangover (fair play to him). Ran a 4km warm down with Roger and Rory back home.

I will say that I never run well when stress levels at work are high. Alongside the injuries I would go as far to say that this has been my achilles heel. On Thursday I left the office at 5pm to take boys to the Palace game but missed all 6 goals as I had my head in the blackberry the whole time. It's a horrible feeling as you feel bad for the people you are there with, feeling guilty that you left the office early and most of all dissapointed for myself that I cannot truly switch off and enjoy the game. There was one night Premiership midweek game last year when Jack turned round to me at half time and said 'hey dad, are you going to watch the game?'.  Never good.

A nice evening spent in Lewisham at the Model Market avec Alex and Kristen (over from Oz) Jeremy, Joanna + others and the whole family.  Stayed out until 10.30ish until Ryder started falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment