Saturday 11 March 2017

Hilly Long

Missed Park Run and knowing that I am short on long runs I just needed to get the Hilly Long done. With Messi back home in Barcelona it had to be solo too.  Pleasant running conditions heading out onto the nearby country lanes which loop around Biggin Hill airport.  Bloody hell I was working hard though even for 4.45s with the monotonous initial 14km uphill slog until the turn at Tattsfield. At that point I think I was averaging 4.35s.

The way home is largely downhill though it has three nasty short hills to break it up, the last and worst just before Downe. Managed to get the average down to 4.16s (33km) but it's a really tough run and smashes the glutes.

On the negatives I had to work too hard. On the positives it was done with no gels (again). In fact no energy drink whatsoever and no brekkie except for one cup of tea. This is perhaps the only difference to last year although looking back to this time last year I ran around the same time so nothing ground breaking.

Knees were very sore when I got back and have been for the rest of the day but did get out with Jack (#11) for a short ride following the same route as my earlier run (21kms).  Our first ride together and he did well navigating the clip ins and the technical lanes and would have gone further except for an important game in the morning.

A beautiful day in London today with Spring threatening albeit with lots of rain forecast for the morning which may mean the footie being cancelled. Let's see.

https://www.strava.com/activities/895508749















No comments:

Post a Comment